09 September, 2012

Hitting a Wall: Another Koan

While travelling through a wilderness one day, I walked into a wall.
Rising up from the ground right there in the middle of that lonely place.

It would have been easy enough to walk around and leave behind.
But, this wall meant something - or, at least I wanted it to -
And I was determined to learn what that might be.

The wall was high enough to keep me from seeing over it when I stood close.
Though not so tall that I couldn't catch hold of the top with a small jump and pull myself up.
It only ran for about twenty feet to the left and to the right.
And, it looked exactly the same from either side.

My first decision (after making up my mind to stop and stay at the wall)
Would have to be which direction I thought the wall was facing.
And, whether I believed it was keeping something in,
Or keeping something out.

No comments:

(c) 2008 - 2014 Brian R. Dixon

The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

the garden plot

Post Archives