08 February, 2011

Learning Love

Written for The Victoria Gazette, February 2011

The Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament repeatedly call us to explore the connection between what we say we believe about God and how we treat others. In the book of the prophet Micah, overzealous worship (the offering of thousands of rams and ten thousands of rivers of oil) is eclipsed by three modest requirements: doing justice, loving kindness, and walking humbly with God, each having more to do with caring for neighbors and God's care for us all. The first letter of John challenges readers with questions like: How can we love a God whom we have not seen if we cannot love brothers and sisters whom we have seen? As a new believer and, sometime after that, as a young seminary student I often felt that what I had to offer - what were truly mine to share - were primarily educated answers to questions about faith, a proficiency in religious ritual, and perhaps even some training in pastoral care. I guess what I'm confessing to you is the belief I once held that God's ability to be present and active in our lives was somehow restricted to my meager understanding of God's love and faithfulness. Eventually I ran into someone who not only showed me differently but also opened my heart to the loving Spirit who bridges this chasm between heart and mind. She was a patient in the ER at St. Luke's in Bethlehem PA. I was a pastoral intern calling myself a chaplain. When the doctor paged, feeling that this woman could use a visit, I was ready. I straightened my tie, picked up my bible, and walked into the room with a mental checklist of things I wanted to know about her. The list was meant to help me respond appropriately; with scripture, with a hymn, with prayer beads, with sacrament, with whatever might help remind her of the Lord of life, lover of her soul, source of all comfort and peace. But, nothing really seemed to "work." Finally, frustrated and a little fearful I asked if there was anything I could get her. And, the answer she gave transformed my understanding of what it means for any of us - for all of us - to love and serve the One who is Emmanuel, God with us. Her request, simply stated, "I just want someone to talk to." I pulled up a chair, put my pretense aside, and let this sister of mine know what I truly believed: that she was seen, and heard, and precious in God's sight.

1 comment:

June said...

Hey Brian,
What a lesson in love; just listen.
Finally got Al's book he wrote about his experiences in Vietnam together and on the way to be published. That always was a dream for him and now it will become a reality.
June

(c) 2008 - 2014 Brian R. Dixon

The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

the garden plot

Post Archives